How to fork a CodeBlocks project?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fork a CodeBlocks project?

I've created a project in CodeBlocks I'd like to fork. It seemed to me the easiest way to do this would be to save a copy of the project under a different name. If I do File | Save project as ..., it let's me specify a new folder, but doesn't give me the option of changing the project's name. It confirms the project is successfully "cloned." If I change the newly saved project's name through Windows, CodeBlocks throws errors when I try to load it. What's the proper way to do what I want to do? I haven't been able to find help in the CodeBlocks manual. Thanks.

Karl, what I do is to first, normalize the paths (make them relative) in Build Options->Paths, then make a copy of the project directory. Then start working on the new directory.

You can then rename the project name by going into the Project->Properties and change the name there:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	226

Comment

Thanks, Richard. That gets me most of the way there, but it doesn't change the filename. I guess it's not essential, but it would be nice since I'd rather not have multiple projects floating around with the same filename. Is that possible to change?

Comment

You can just rename the .cbp and .v2.prj files.

Comment

All the build output files (.cof, .bin, .elf, ...) retain the old project's name. How do I change those?

Comment

Originally posted by Involute View Post
            All the build output files (.cof, .bin, .elf, ...) retain the old project's name. How do I change those?
            Go to Project->BuildOptions->Paths, and change the "Output File Name". Do a File->"Save Workspace" and Rebuild All to ensure everything is up to date.

Comment

I will add this info to the new doc. Thanks

Comment

Also, you can save a project as a template (File->Save as template) then create a new project based on that template (File->New..Project->User Template).

It's also much faster an easier.

Comment

Working...
                X